Arrival and entry into the United States of America

As part of the “Visa Waiver Program,” all you need to enter the USA without a visa is a passport that can be scanned. Children’s passports entitle them to enter without a visa only if the passport has a photo, was issued prior to Oct. 26, 2006 and has not been extended or changed since then. If the passport was issued after Oct. 26, 2006, extended or changed, then a visa is required.

If you will not be undergoing further flight training, you do not need a visa for your flying holiday. However, if you are starting or continuing pilot’s training in the USA (PPL, IFR, etc.), then you will need an M1 visa.

Since January 12, 2009, all travelers who enter the USA under the “Visa Waiver” program (VWP) must obtain from this Internet address

an electronic entry permit (“Electronic System for Travel Authorization” ESTA-) prior to entry in the USA. You can also apply through a third party (travel agency, for example). Once this entry permit has been issued, you can travel to and from the USA as often as you like within a two-year period. The US immigration authorities recommend applying for this permit through the ESTA at least 72 hours prior to entry into the country.

Since September 8, 2010, the ESTA online application requires a fee of $21.00, payable with a credit card (MasterCard, VISA, American Express, Discover).